SALARY RANGE: £12 per hour plus travel expenses
HOURS: 2 hours per week (Wednesdays PM)
LOCATION: London, NW3
REPORTING TO: Head of Education
Gateways is looking to recruit an enthusiastic, skilled and motivated Learning Support Assistant to work one to one with dyslexic student. The teaching assistant will be employed for 2 hours a week who will support the student during a Hair and Beauty course.
JW3’s GATEWAYS PROGRAMME:
Every young person, no matter who they are or where they are from, should have the opportunity to progress and thrive, regardless of the struggles they face. In every community, more and more young people are facing mental health issues, and many are affected by poverty, neglect and abuse. The Jewish community is not immune to any of these issues.
JW3’s Gateways programme provides an integrated service to vulnerable young people, including academic and vocational courses, pastoral care and life skills training. We are committed to the holistic development of every student, at every stage of their journey through the programme.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
Together with the classroom teacher, you will be responsible for the development and progress of a young dyslexic adult, to assist them in them in a weekly Hair and Beauty group class.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Taking into account the learning support involved, to aid the student to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own
- Clarifying and explaining instructions
- Ensuring the student is able to use equipment and materials provided
- Motivating and encouraging the student as required
- Assisting in weaker areas, e.g. language, behaviours, reading, spelling, handwriting/presentation
- Helping the student to concentrate on and finish work set
- Meeting physical needs as required whilst encouraging independence
- Liaising with class teacher about individual education plans (IEPs)
- Developing appropriate resources to support the students’ needs
- Establish a constructive relationship with the student and interact with them according to individual needs.
- Encourage the student to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- Provide feedback to the student in relation to progress and achievement under the guidance of the teacher.
- Use strategies, in liaison with the teacher, to support the student to help them achieve their learning goals.
- Be aware of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to student protection and safeguarding.
- Establish positive working relationships with parents/carers.
All staff must wholeheartedly buy into JW3’s mission, vision, values and guiding principles. A belief in the importance of inclusivity and working cross-communally, and a commitment to high quality Jewish engagement, arts and culture, learning and community-building is critical.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Has previous experience of working with students/young adults on a one-to-one basis.
- Experience working with or caring for young people with a range of special educational needs including dyslexia.
- Is able to deliver support strategies for students with specific difficulties linked to learning and/or other related needs.
- Is enthusiastic, resourceful and understanding.
- Has a positive outlook and is a good team player.
- Motivated, highly organised, with initiative and excellent time management skills.
- Able to manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Work constructively as part of a team, understanding classroom roles and responsibilities and your own position within these.
- Ability to work with own initiative without supervision.
- Ability to self-evaluate learning needs and actively seek learning opportunities.
This job information cannot be all encompassing. It is inevitable over time that the emphasis of the job will change without changing the general character of the job or the level of duties and responsibilities entailed. Consequently, this information will be periodically reviewed, revised and updated in consultation with the post holder to reflect appropriate changes.